Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Movie Ticket Prices

Recently I posted an entry on 2007 movies I wanted to see. January 26th Blood and Chocolate came out, a movie based on one of my favorite books in school. So I decided Matt was going to take me to see said movie when it came out but my master plan hit a snag. This is the story of that snag.

Now I have to go off topic here to give some background information. Matt and I normally frequent a theater where we can see any movie they are playing on Tuesdays for 2.50 a ticket. So yes we’ve been a little spoiled in that department.
Now back to my story…

Our favorite cheap theater only has five screens and they aren’t using one of them to play Blood and Chocolate for some unknown reason. So needless to say we had to find another theater which wasn’t hard, just a few miles down the road. But after surfing their website I decided just to take a look at their prices to see how much a full priced movie cost these days.
::Insert panic attack here::
The price for one regular priced adult movie ticket at this theater is EIGHT bucks! Now this theater isn’t new, it hasn’t gone through any renovations or upgraded their equipment so why exactly did their ticket prices go up almost two dollars? I have a guess and it involves the words minimum wage, increase, and Granholm, but that’s story I’ll save for later in the week.
So let’s do the math here:
Adult movie tickets 8 x 2 = $1
Couple Combo 13 x 1 = $13
Total - $29.00

So it now cost twenty nine dollars to see a movie in theater whish you never knot if that movie is going to be worth thirty dollars. You would think if the movie theater is going to increase their prices then Hollywood could at least try to make quality flicks rather than this crap they keep dishing out. People continuously bitch that the movie industry isn’t making enough money anymore and no one can figure out why. Maybe because the prices keep going up, but the quality keeps going down with all these shittastic remakes? It wouldn’t work that way in any other industry why should the movie one be any different – supply and demand people . There is no original thought in Hollywood anymore. Don’t even try and fight with me about this either because I’ll break out my review of the Wicker Man remake and that’s a trump card.

It reminds me of the US Postal System. The cost of stamps keeps going up but the quality or quantity of services hasn’t changed. Why would we pay more for the same products? And I know everyone will says it’s because FedEx and email bla bla bla crappity crap. Well my friend those are excuses they need to work on their system. If FedEx can do it cheaper so can they. If all mail carriers charged that much I might believe it actually cost thirty-nine cents to mail a standard one ounce letter, until then I’m skeptical. And just to keep you up on gossip there are rumors surfacing that the cost of stamps in the spring.

But I digress; we were discussing movies not the failures of our postal system. Basically at this point it is cheaper for Matt and I to buy movies from Wal-Mart and watch them in the safety of our home while eating a ninety-eight cent BOX of popcorn on the couch. The best part is we won’t have to sit next to someone hacking up a lung on us or small children crying. Wal-Mart has a great selection of movies for $5.50, $7.50, $9.50, $13, and their highest price 20 bucks. So anyway you play it you can get at least one movie and still save money on going to the theater. You can even get a Season of a television series for thirty-two dollars only two dollars more. And on the even brighter side you get to take those movies home and add them to your collection.

So that was my rant about movies. For now we’ll be staying home and watching the five movies we bought for the price of going to the theater. At least until Blood and Chocolate comes to the discount show.


0 comments: