Thursday, November 30, 2006

Before He Wakes - Book Review

Just finished Before He Wakes by Jerry Bledsoe. It’s a true crime novel about a women who murders two of her husbands for insurance money. Well that and her own psychotic motives, whatever they may have been. It was a good book, but not the best true crime I’ve ever read. What I don’t understand is how the woman was sentenced to life in prison but is/was up for parole in twelve years (2005). Thankfully I’m pretty sure she was turned down, but how can that happen? The jury had two options for sentencing; life in prison or the death penalty. While I’m against the death penalty I don’t like it because it’s too easy of a way out so I’m totally against life in prison with parole in twelve years. Makes you aware of the problems in our legal system.

Four Stars
Would recommend to true crime lovers

1 comments:

swvacherry said...

Liked your review! Evidently, life does not mean actual life in prison until their death. My understanding, it takes a sentence of life without possibility of parole. Only then, does it mean the convicted will never be released into society again. When sentenced to only life, there is a chance for the the convicted to be paroled back into society at some point in time.
Depending on the state and the guidelines of what is their definition is of how long a life sentence will be. I've been on reading spree of true crime books lately and yes I was amazed as well that life does not exactly mean life in prison.