Saturday, March 10, 2007

Widescreen Rant


I do not for the life of me understand why people buy widescreen movies. Let me rephrase that sometimes I have to purchase widescreen because that is all that has been produced. What I don’t get is why they make widescreen movies and those people who actually like them. I don’t understand why people enjoying having half their TV screen taken up by two large black lines.

I’ve also heard all the so called reasons why the widescreen movies are better and I still disagree with it. The number one reason I have heard is that widescreen opens the shot and lets you see what happens on the sides of the camera shot as well. My question is…why do I care what happens on the sides of the camera shot? If it was important to the scene and needed to be seen wouldn’t the camera man (if he was worth the money you were paying him) put the item in the middle of the shot? Or at the bare minimum put the item far enough within the shot that you can see the item in a regular viewing screen.

I do not need to have huge ass black lines coving half my television in order to see the flower vase or half of some extra’s arm. And now they are even doing it to television shows, but at least on the shows and some movies the black lines aren’t as over powering.

::End Rant::

0 comments: