Saturday, November 17, 2007

Tales from the Boom-Boom Room

Tales from the Boom-Boom Room by Susan Antilla has a good story behind it but the writing has to be the driest I’ve ever read. The story follows the lives of five woman during their time working in the financial district and the subsequent legal battles fought by them and many other woman. The issue wasn’t something about sexual harassment they faced every day on the job but their right to a jury trial for such claims. At the time all traders signed an agreement forcing them to binding arbitration. After 302 pages you learn the woman still have to go through arbitration but there’s a chance of one day getting a jury trial. Well I suppose one company’s employees gained the right but that was a foot note in the book. Of course it wasn’t until 200 pages in that the real legal battle even begins so I guess you take what you can get.

When I started reading the book I expected it to be based in the 70’s but to my amazement most of the events took place in the late 90’s and are still being dealt with by many women, on the job front and legally.

As I said in the end the women did have quite a battle but I’m not sure if the story needed a full 300+ pages to be fully told. If you are looking for a good legal read and aren’t concerned with the subject I’d suggest the “Buffalo Creek Disaster” by Gerald Stern. Much more interesting.

Overall:
C-
Recommended For:

Anyone who REALLY enjoys a true law book regardless of dry writing and weak endings

0 comments: