Monday, November 26, 2007

Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold

Just finished Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. The book was very different then what I had expected I guess that’s what I get for just hearing “yeah it’s good” from others but not actually taking the time to simply read the back cover. Although when it was all said and done my friends were right and I did enjoy it. Lovely Bones wasn’t the typical book I usually read. In fact when I picked it up I though we’d be following the forensics of the case; anything to do with bones really. Anything but a quick reference in one of the last chapters that lasted a sentence, maybe two.

The story is about Susie a fourteen year old struggling to let go of her family while in heaver after being horribly murdered a short distance from home. Susie spends many years in her heaven watching her family and keeping track of their developments.

Lovely Bones, is much more about dealing with the loss of a loved one and coping with grief that solving a murder. And although it was written as fiction I think there are many things we can learn from the Salmon’s story about them struggles and our own. I’ll also admit that had I not read most of this book on a business trip I’m sure I would have cried. I was often moved by parts but didn’t want my roommate to think I was some crazy chick.

It isn’t a fit for every reader so just make sure you know what you’re getting into before you decide to dive right in. Overall it is a good book and if you think it might be your thing then give Sebold a shot to win over you book shelf.


“Nothing is ever certain”

0 comments: