Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Alchemist - Book review

This week I read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. The book is about a Shepard who leaves on a long journey to find his treasure and complete his personal legend. As to be expected the boy learns about the world and himself along the way.

The writing of the book is simple and reminds me of a fable you heard in school. It’s written so that you know the moral of the story is only a few pages away, if you haven’t figured it out many pages before. When his task was complete and the moral told it really was an inspirational tale. One that makes you think about where you would like to be in the future.

Another plus, if you’re like me and hate sappy endings this book won’t disappoint. Without giving too much away I’ll say the treasure wasn’t within him all along… thankfully. Those endings drive me nuts. It’s not another Wizard of Oz, I promise.

I was going to discuss my favorite quote but I’ve decided to share it with you and let you think about its own meaning to you.

“People need not fear the unknown if they are capable of achieving what they need and want”

Interesting right?

0 comments: