Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Shutter - Movie Review

I have a love for scary movies. Not horror but scary. One day I’ll explain the difference. Sadly Matt doesn’t share my enthusiasm for frightful things. I can only drag him to a few scary movies every year and therefore have to choose which ones wisely. The rest we have to rent and watch with the lights on.

This weekend I made Matt go see our first scary movie of the year, Shutter. This Shutter was a remake of the 2004 movie of the same title. I hadn’t watched the first Shutter or heard anything about it. In fact Shutter didn’t make my original 2008 movie list. It wasn’t until I saw a preview for it at Vantage Point.

Shutter is a about a young couple who after a tragic accident begin to experience some super natural events. That’s just about all I can say without giving too much away. Check out the imdb link if you want to see spoilers.

Overall the movie was ok. It wasn’t as scary as I had hoped but you much keep in mind I have high expectations. It just isn’t that scary even Matt made it all the way through without jumping which isn’t a good sign for the freak out meter. Some viewers have complained about the ending but I thought it was quite fitting.

The biggest disappointment for me was many if not most of the scenes in the previews are no where to be found in the movie. I hate when movies do this. How do you show us a scene in a preview that isn’t in the movie? The preview is suppose to show us what we’ll find when we go see the movie. Especially when you go to the expensive theater to see it. Those scenes are what made me interested in the flick; I want to see them in the movie.

So as a recap, Shutter wasn’t great, but wasn’t horrible either. I won’t be buying it when it comes out – well unless it ends up in the $5.50 bin. That is how I ended up with People Under the Stairs.

0 comments: