Friday, August 4, 2006

The Devil Wears Prada - Movie Review


Last night we went and saw The Devil Wears Prada and I will say Matthew enjoyed it more than I did. Well I believe something close to his exact words were “For a chick flick it wasn’t that bad”. I on the other hand didn’t enjoy it half as much as I thought. Maybe it’s because that movie hits way too close to home and my work life for me, but overall it just didn’t sit well with me.: Find me that piece of paper I had in my hand yesterday morning. ~ Miranda Priestly. Who does that remind you (or me) of...The Bee…ahw yes, maybe.

It wasn’t that the movie was horrible or that it had been done five times before like some movies, but it was just missing something at some point. The ending was shaky and I think they left it open so the viewer could decide the ending, but sometimes the writer has to decide the future or their poor pitiful characters and not leave those of use at home hanging.

The movie starts off with what you think is going to be the same old make fun of skinny girls and models, but at someone point changes and actually sticks up for the beauty industry and has the main character Andy excited that she’s down to a size four (A complete character change). The movie does end with a feeling that it’s ok to be on either side of the fence you can care about fashion or not and either way you’ll be ok. I just feel we’ve worked so hard to tell girls not to worry about weight and be themselves (which I agree with) and this movie may have a way of undoing it with out anyone even noticing. On the other hand those notions of not worrying about what you look like on the outside may have back fired making American the fattest country in the world so maybe it’s a concept to consider, but not dwell on.

Andy Sachs: You look so skinny!
Emily: Really? Thanks. I'm on this new diet for Paris. I don't eat anything... and then when I feel like I'm about to faint, I eat a cube of cheese. I’m just one stomach flu away from reaching my goal weight.
(imdb.com)

On a last note I’m still just not sure if the moral of the movie was and that could be why I left a little empty at the end.

”It's not fair though, I mean you eat carbs!” ~ Emily


0 comments: