Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Half Life

Movie Review
The movie Half Light was very good and it kept me guessing throughout the whole plot line…which you know is a hard thing to do. I ended the movie a little disappointed in the final results but that’s only because I’m a romantic. It wasn’t until after the movie was over and I was getting ready for bed that I began to notice some problems with the story line and actions of certain characters. These minor problems won’t be an issue to most viewers, but I feel that if your going to make a movie you should at least make sure things make sense and you’ve looked into all the little details to insure perfection or at least tie up the lose ends with some sort of explanation.

~SPOILERS BELOW~


Issue Number One:
In the beginning scenes Angus/Pat was living in the light house and had many of items all over the house…he was living there. Later in the movie we see the lighthouse is empty and the sheriff explains to Rachel that the house has been empty for seven years. Ok all seems fine except that I leave my house for a week and there is dust everywhere an empty lighthouse would have been dust filled wouldn’t she or the sheriff have noticed that there wasn’t any dust or cobwebs in the house and thought that odd. And even if you say that it’s because it’s a light house there wouldn’t be dust like on land. I have to counter with I think there would be, there was enough open land around the lighthouse to make it an island (I even believe the wild horses were on the island). There fore there was a beach and sand and when the waves came in it would have gotten windy…hence dust (or sand) in the lighthouse. Someone surely would have noticed this especially Rachel who was looking for a reason to believe he was real.

Issue Number Two:
A continuation from issue number one and all these items in the lighthouse. Angus/Pat had things hanging on the walls and nick knacks everywhere (as addressed earlier), but later within a day at most the house was completely cleaned out…empty. How did he get these items out of the lighthouse and off the island (let along get the items in). Wouldn’t the towns people have seen someone moving in and out of this deserted light house or the boat taking or brining back all his possessions? I think it’s highly unbelievable he was able to do this by himself with his little row boat in the dead of night no less.

Issue Number Three:
This one may be a little picky for some of you, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Although I have never been to England or the surrounding areas many of my friends and acquaintances have and the one thing I always hear when I get back is about the smoking. Everyone wants you to smoke when you’re there and you can’t walk down the road without a cigarette before someone stops and ask you if you’d like one. Now people I’m not naive and I highly doubt it’s that bad, but I do believe that smoking is more prevalent in Europe and therefore I find it hard to believe that NO ONE smoked in this movie. It’s fine if none of the major characters smoked, but the least they could have done was let someone light up when they were doing many of the bar scenes, the bingo hall, or at the open air birthday party. I just find it hard to believe that at none of these locations not a single smoker could be found.

Even with these issues Half Light still receives Five Stars.

0 comments: