Saturday, August 4, 2007

Father of the Bride

We watched Father of the Bride on T.V. a few days ago. I had not seen it before, but had heard about it from many people.

The part I connected the most with, as many of you will guess, is the blender. In this movie the situation wasn’t as bad since it was technically a wedding gift, but I can totally relate to the brides dismay.

Matt and I have discussed this multiple times and we’ve concluded that house items are purchased for the house and gifts our purchased for us. I’m not the only one who uses a vacuum so why would I be the one to get the vacuum for a Christmas gift? Why is it that men get golf clubs, sport things, basically really cool guy gifts, but girls get towels, vacuums and blenders for gifts? Have we really made as much progress towards equal rights and progressive thinking as we say we have?

I can also admit that I have in the past committed one of these social faux pas. I have purchased dish towels and other kitchen accessories for a non wedding gift. And I feel bad about it. Why couldn’t I put a few more seconds of thought or a few more dollars into my gift selection – I had to just go with the typical “woman” gift? And yes of course I heard how that is really what she wanted and she always ask for them and of course after they were opened we heard thank you about how much she liked them, but did she really? Maybe she did, but what would she have liked more?

I mean come on really what woman… any woman wouldn’t like a piece of jewelry (non determinate of size) over a pair of dish towels. Or ok, let’s say you honestly just don’t like jewelry and wouldn’t use it like you would the towels. Isn’t there something/anything out there you would enjoy more? A nice CD, perfume, clothes, a book, something hand made and thoughtful, I can think of a hundred things I would like more than a set of dish towels; can’t you?

If our house needs dish towels or a new vacuum; preferably the Dyson Animal, then Matt and I will buy it together for the house. There is no way I’ll be opening even a set of dish towels on Christmas day, if so Matt will be opening the door to his new life… at the local motel.

So as many of you have probably realized I am a hypocrite. I say I won’t accept these gifts myself, but yet I give them out? That’s right I’m bad, but I vow from this point on to never commit such ghastly actions again and I employ you to do the same.

And now for my required bits:
If you’re like me and haven’t seen Father of the Bride yet, check it out, it’s worth the hour and a half not so much on Father of the Bride II.

”What is this, 1958? Give the little wife a blender? “

0 comments: