Saturday, August 18, 2007

Stratford

The fam and I traveled to Stratford this last weekend to see the Merchant of Venice. The town of Stratford is absolutely wonderful. I love the main streets with the little shops, if it wasn’t located in the depths of Canada I could see us moving there, owning a little shop (maybe used books), and then just closing down for the winter and reading. Sadly, Canada is a dumping ground for way too much snow. We’re trying to leave the snowy regions not move further north.

Our reason for visiting Canada wasn’t to see the shops, but to visit the Stratford Festival of Canada in its 55th season. We watched the The Merchant of Venice which over all I absolutely loved. The acting was wonderful and I loved seeing the play in what I am calling a “Shakespearian” setting. No bright lights, microphones, or other overly flashy elements. I have seen many on Broadway plays and this one ranks over most of them. Just goes to show you don’t need all that extra fluff to have a great play and evening. The play did have many modern basics worked in with their costumes, music, and transportation. I liked this aspect, while I wouldn’t go as far to call this play one of Shakespeare’s most timeless works the modern day aspects were easily worked in and really added to the night. Plus I got a pin and you know how that makes my day. I’m still digesting how I feel about the plays message and ending, I had read a little about it before going but hadn’t read the play and wasn’t prepared for everything we got.

We stayed in the Arden Park hotel, which was so nice and large, held five of us with no problems. Very clean, friendly staff, and its only a short walking distance from the Festival theater. Stay there if you go and can get a room.

On our trip home we stopped in a slightly smaller nearby village of which I have a special connection with. Unfortunately, it wasn’t everything I believed it would be, but at least I was there and I have pictures to prove it.

0 comments: