Monday, February 11, 2008

Fool's Gold - Movie Review

We saw Fool’s Gold this weekend with Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson. I loved them in How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days so I figured I might like them in this as well.

The movie was so much better than I expected. Honestly I didn’t go into the theater with high expectations so it wasn’t hard to do, but I still really enjoyed it. In fact I think I’ll buy it when it comes out.

The movie is about a treasure in the waters of the Caribbean and the search to see who will find it first. There’s good guys, bad guys, and as always the comic relief guys. The movie has been criticized for being dramatically dumb; but I ask, what do you expect? You have a movie staring Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey with previews expressing the movie as more of a comedy than a factual documentary. I mean come on in one preview McConaughey says he learns to fly a plane on the Playstation. Any realistic action film isn’t going to express that in a preview as a main scene. People going to the theater to see this should expect to get a comedy. And in addition one of the main characters is named BiggBunny (one word) again it’s not Passion of the Christ here.

Sure the characters are extremely exaggerated but that’s what makes it funny. A dumb rich girl being dumb, confused foreigners, and a rapper with a rabbit they’re all plays on our society today. And of course there is a happy ending. Get over it or stop watching movies.

I’ve also read Fool’s Gold is very similar to Into the Blue but being that I feel asleep in the car when Into the Blue was playing last summer I can’t tell you if that’s true or not. Some have even gone as far as to criticize the posters for being too similar. I guess if two main characters standing next to one another on a poster is strikingly similar then, yes they are.

Also I would like to express at this point in time that while I haven’t done any research myself please don’t buy a boat and head to the Bahamas in search of treasure. I’m sure the movie is based on some small random factoid but the rest is sure to be highly fictional. Just as in The Titanic, Da Vinci Code, and National Treasure. Movie makers take a small piece of history add on a lot of false information, a little passion, and make a whole new story line in order to increase ticket sales. Even after that Public Service Announcement I’m sure someone out there will believe its all true and spread the crap to all their equally dumb friends. Don’t let that be you.

All in all Fool’s Gold was good and if your looking for a funny no brain cells needed movie you should make time to see it.



“If we don't go after that treasure, it's going to haunt us for the rest of our lives and you know it. You really think I'd lie about something like this?”

0 comments: