Friday, February 1, 2008

Michigan Renaissance Restival

So we went to the Michigan Renaissance Festival way back in October but since I’ve had 100 over things to update and freak out about I hadn’t gotten to this one until now. But here it is my review of the Michigan Renaissance. It’s a small hike to Holly, Mi so we woke up early to miss the crowds. Apparently the crowds had the same idea and we ended up all arriving together.

While crowded the fair was still fun. We didn’t take the dog because I wasn’t sure how he’d do with all the people and other animals, but I actually think it would have been a good learning experience for him to be in the atmosphere. Plus if he had been there I could have bought him more fair goodies since I would have known his sizes. The one item I regret not buying was the dragon wings being sold by many vendors. They were bendable and flexi in cute colors. They weren’t your typical fairy wings they were very trendy. I wanted to get the dog some so he could truly be a bat dog but I wasn’t sure on his size. And a pair for me would have looked amazing with the horns I selected that day. I would have had the best Halloween costume. I will defiantly pick some up next year.

I also got my previously mentioned horns at the fair this year. I had purchased a pair many years ago at my first fair but during a move misplaced them. I couldn’t find a replacement pair anywhere which is why we went back this year. At first we searched all over and I couldn’t find anything like I wanted. Everyone was selling oddly shaped ones with bright colors. I wanted a natural more realistic pair like my original ones. Just as I was about to give up Matt spotted them at one of the shops. They were just what I wanted and cheaper than all those other imitation horns.

While there we also purchased the most delicious kettle corn. Not that typical microwave crap the real deal from a tent popper. It’s the best stuff ever, in my opinion better than Boy Scout popcorn, but shhh, don’t tell Matt I said that. We might go back next year just for the corn and bring an extra bag home with us.

As always the acts were very funny. We were only able to catch two. One the Zucchini Brothers were great – enormously funny. The two work really well together and put on a great act which is good for them because as they explain, they have no other marketable skills.

We were also lucky enough to see the Birds of Prey demonstration. It was very interesting to see the birds and their different hunting techniques. To have the birds fly over your head, perch in a tree and then come when called was exciting. Almost as exciting as when they completely ignored their trainer and did whatever they wanted.

We went during the Shamrock and Shenanigans weekend which was the only disappointment. I was so excited to see some cultural festivities but besides the bag pipes; which Matt loved, there wasn’t much going that I’d call Shamrockie. Over all the day was fun and should you get the chance to visit a festival near you make sure and go.

0 comments: