Friday, February 22, 2008

The Undomestic Goddess - Book Review

So I just finished Sophia Kinsella’s Novel “The Undomestic Goddess”. I must say I think it was fate that I ended up reading this right after finishing “Tuesdays with Morrie”. The Undomestic Goddess does what Morrie could not. Many times after reading a chapter I felt excited and a little inspired to take a deeper look into my own life and the person I want to be. This book had me examining my situation in the ways I had hoped “Tuesdays with Morrie” would. I’m even thinking about making a cake…maybe.

“The Undomestic Goddess” is a novel about a London lawyer, Samantha. She finds herself in a situation where she is blamed for a multi million dollar mistake and ends up losing her position. After which she takes to the country to learn about all life has to teach her and meet a few friends along the way. In the end will Samantha return to her lucrative position in the city or maintain the simpler life she has been introduced to.

I ended up with “The Undomestic Goddess” by chance when I received it free from the buy two get one table at Barnes and Nobel. I decided on it because a good friend said Kinsella’s other novels are good, the cover was a nice yellow cover and I figured I might be able to relate to the Undomestic part. That’s right I judge books by their covers, often actually.

This is a great story that some may relate to more than others but everyone will feel some connection to Samantha and the decisions/fears she has. Kinsella writes Samantha as every woman, sure she’s a top notch lawyer with a brilliant mind but in her thoughts she’s still a fourteen year old girl gushing over a crush. My favorite aspect of the book was the wonderful conversations Samantha had in her own head. I mean who hasn’t carried on a conversation with themselves over every day issues? Thoughts full of self doubt and decision making inability.

The writing and feel of the book is very relaxed making it a quick and easy read that emerges you in the story. If you want a book that will provide an opportunity for self examination put down “Tuesdays with Morrie” and pick up “The Undomestic Goddess”.

0 comments: