Friday, June 6, 2008

Anyone have $3,662 laying around?

So as I wrote about earlier, we are about two months away from paying off all our credit card debt. We decided to pay them off in December and have been putting any extra income towards it, while still maintaining a comfortable lifestyle. Depending on your idea of comfort, it’s working for us.

Basically this means living like we did while in college. We maintained the same lifestyle we had in school and since we’ve grown accustom to it we haven’t really noticed a change. We have internet and cable TV but you won’t find us driving new cars any time soon. Although, I’ll admit we could eat out less, something I’m working on.

Anyway back to the credit cards. We started out December with around 12 to 14 thousand in credit card debt. It’s bad I don’t know the exact number I know, but at the time I wasn’t keeping good track. It was just about paying off the cards not about saving money or watching our finances. I figured it would take us years to pay them off unless we did something drastic and started making larger payments.

As of 6/6/08 we have fully paid off two credit cards, one bill me later account, and a dental loan. Right now we have 3,662.59 dollars left on my card at 12.9% interest, through our credit union. My card will remain open even after it’s paid off as it has the lowest interest of our cards. The other accounts have been closed, even though I know you’re not suppose to, I just wanted them gone and felt it was the best option for us.

But of course I’m not happy having the card paid off in July. We’re so close I want it paid off NOW. So how can I come up with 3,662.59 in one month? I don’t know but I’m willing to bet it will be an interesting ride and blog post.

0 comments: