Sunday, June 22, 2008

Get Smart - Movie Review

Matt and I saw Get Smart today. I’m happy to report it looks like our run of bad movies has come to an end. This movie was great, far better than even I hoped. It’s no secret I’m not a huge Steve Carell fan, but he was perfect for this role and Anne Hathaway was just right as well. It’s not easy to match the chemistry between Don Adams and Barbara Feldon.

My one sentence summary: After Control is broken into, Agents 86 and 99 set off to stop the forces of Kaos to save LA, our president, and those politically minded actors.

The movie is obviously based on the television series Get Smart from 1965. The new Get Smart did a good job of maintaining distinctiveness all while making sure to pay just enough homage to the original. They brought back just enough of the memorable characters, phrases, and plot lines. Enough to make you remember why you’re there but not enough to make you regret the ticket purchase.

I loved watching reruns of Get Smart on Nick at Nite as a kid and was able to relive some of that nostalgia in the theater. Makes me want to run out and get all the original seasons on DVD, but I’ll just have to wait till Christmas. Another thing I loved was the lack of sexual scenes, adult comedy, blood, swearing. There are some semi adult comedy scenes but for the most part they are very tactful and most children wouldn’t get them. Unlike some “children” films out there today. Just one of my pet peeves with movies today. Seems like some film makers think they have to throw in as much adult content whenever possible. Hollywood has forgotten that you can make a good film without all of that.

Anyway, if you can head out to see Get Smart while its still in theaters. It will be money well spent, especially if you see it for half off, like we did. I’ll share how tomorrow.

0 comments: