Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Online stuff reduction

In an effort to reduce my commitments I’ve limited the number of websites I update for certain events. For example when I used to read a book I would update, goodreads.com , OnOurWay, a personal spread sheet, and 43things.com. I’m getting rid of 43things.com. and goodreads.com , thus reducing my commitments by 50%. Now when I finish a book I’m going to update OnOurWay and my personal record.

I have also taken all the blogs I read and added them to my google reader for easier checking. I was really hesitant to start using the google reader to keep me updated on my blogs but it has saved me so much time, I’ll never go back. I implore you to ask yourself “how much time do you spend each day updating certain sites?” I know I was spending way too much time of my day doing just that. Of course you want to get your name out there as much as possible, but at some point we just have to say enough.

Here are the sites I’m now using for my various updates.

Exercise/Nutritional: Sparkpeople.com
Web searches: Swagbucks.com
Books: OnOurWay & personal spreadsheet
Goals: 43things.com
Blogs: Google reader

Take the 2009 reduction challenge and get rid of just one website you frequently update but don’t enjoy doing so. Can you do it? If so which site will/would it be?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also switched all of my blogs into a blog reader (bloglines) about a year ago, and I would never, ever go back. It is such a timesaver for me, and allows me to keep up with blog reading for pleasure and for business, without wasting a lot of time online.

Thanks for joining in to Living Simply Saturday, Meg! Good to have you!

Amanda said...

Thanks for the tip on google reader. I've been hesitant as well to switch to that, but I think I'll give it a whirl!