Saturday, August 23, 2008

Mamma Mia! - The Movie

So we actually saw Mamma Mia! on opening weekend but I’m just now reviewing it. That’s how far behind I am. One day I’ll share pictures of my “things to blog” pile.

I loved Mamma Mia! – and so did Matt. We saw the play a few years ago when it made a local stop and are both ABBA fans, so we couldn’t miss the movie version, especially when Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan are both involved. Mamma Mia! actually set a new record for the biggest weekend premier of a musical. They knocked out Hairspray with earnings of $27.6 million.

The movie was great. There is no substitute for seeing something on stage but this comes close. Everyone worked really well together; there is definitely some on screen magic. Plus the movie follows the play very closely scene wise which is always something I like to see. They did however add some updates, mentioning the internet, different songs etc.

The only thing missing (and it’s the same with the play) is Fernando. Who doesn’t love Fernando? They could have worked it in quite nicely. Ok, maybe it’s just me that feels this way, but its one of my favorites.

You can read a full description of the movie here.
Has anyone else seen Mamma Mia! yet, what did you think?


“Somebody up there has got it in for me. I bet it's my mother”

0 comments: