Friday, October 31, 2008

The Wal-Mart Triumph

I just finished the Wal-Mart Triumph by Robert Slater. This was certainly an interesting read. Slater is the first author to have actual permission from Wal-Mart to write a book on Wal-Mart and you can tell. I think the old CEO, Glass must have proofed it for him before publication since he has all this free time now.

Now don’t get me wrong I love Wal-Mart as you’ve seen by some of my post. Unlike some of my friends I have no qualms about shopping there. With my education background I have done a lot of case studies on the big W and feel they like McDonalds are suffering from Big Brother syndrome, but that’s another post for another day.

Even with all that on the side of Wal-Mart this is by far the biggest pro Wal-Mart book I’ve ever read. The recent scandals of sex discrimination and unpaid lunches get barely any mention at all. In a chapter regarding the company’s image these two mega blemishes are barely noted. In fact if I recall correctly they share a sentence at the end of the chapter.

When I finish a book I have two options, if it’s worthy of shelf space I keep it to one day add to our library. Those not space worthy get thrown in a tub and posted on paperbackswap.com. If you think you’d be interested in reading this book you can find my copy on the swap.

One book down – thirty-seven to go

0 comments: