Monday, July 6, 2009

How Could you do That?! - the abdication of character courage and conscience - Book Review

This weekend I finished Dr.Laura Schlessinger’s book “How Could you do That?! - the abdication of character courage and conscience”

The book is a collection of stories from the callers on her radio show and a discussion of how we as humans make less than desirable choices in life. The book is only 269 pages so it should have been a quick read but I found reading it to be slightly tedious. I just couldn’t get into, like I said the book is full of examples but lacks any flow to the stories. The only connection being we all make dumb choices in life.

Dr.Laura used the book to express a strong opinion on childcare and relationships in general. She often uses the pages to convey her stance on two parent families and having one parent at home. I have to agree with her, I’m sure the best solution is having at least one parent at home rather than two full time working adults. Yet, there are times I felt like she was saying if your children are raised with two working parents or in a single parent home they will turn out to be hooligans. I am the product of a divorced, single parent working mother home and I think I turned out ok. I finished high school, went to college, and didn’t have any children at a young age, as Dr.Laura would have you believe happens to everyone from this predicament.
There are a few parts of the book that made me stop and really think about the situations and how they applied to my life so it wasn’t a total loss.

The book has a two star rating on Amazon.com so I’m guessing other readers feel the same way I do.


Books Read in 2009: 22
Books to Read: 28

0 comments: