Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Rich Dad Poor Dad - Book Review


Let me start by saying I love this book!
Rich Dad Poor Dad is quite possibly the best book I’ve read in at least two years even though it’s a financial book. I love Robert’s outlook on life and our finances. All my life I heard “study hard, get a good job” I wish I would have read his book years ago – maybe then I wouldn’t be so disillusioned with the thoughts of working 30 years.

I would have highlighted parts of the book, but every sentence would have been yellow. The chapters are jam packed with sayings, stories and examples. In fact Matt and I have already implemented some of his advice and have some ideas for the future. Starting immediately we are paying ourselves first. I never really understood how or why to pay yourself first, but I get it now.

Before reading the book Matt and I would pay our bills first then stick everything in savings. We were doing a good job at it but I understand the importance now. I always figured if we were saving large amounts it was good enough. But as Robert explains if I pay myself first and run out of money I’ll find a way to come up with it. If we have a goal of putting $200 a month away and miss it by $100 it is no big deal, if we’re $100 away from paying our cable bill we’ll figure out a way to pay it asap because we don’t want late fees.

It’s a big commitment but exciting to think of the possibilities. We also have a few plans on how to increase our assets and even earn extra money but that’s for the future. We’ve now decided on how to make our first investments once we have the needed tools. We’ve both picked an area that interest us and have a small but developing game plan.

I’m very excited, pumped, and refreshed after reading Rich Dad Poor Dad.

If you feel stuck financially, not sure how to make the most of your money or like me and the thought of working for 30 years scares you senseless you should read Rich Dad Poor Dad. This book is the first step to getting yourself out of the rat race of life.

Have you had the opportunity to read this book, what did you think? If you haven’t I highly suggest you request it on paperbackswap.com, there are copies waiting and it’s worth it.

Books Read in 2009: 10
Books remaining: 40

1 comments:

Nancy said...

I have read and re-read it and am thinking of starting again as I am now going full force into saving, investing, and gearing up for the future. I highly recommend this book and the one geared towards children - parents should get both and read them and then give the children the book to read for discussion.